Autumn is officially upon us, before we know it, it will soon be Halloween, Bonfire Night and Christmas!
- Refresh pots and beds with winter bedding such as Pansy, Violas, Wall flowers , primrose and polyanthus
- Divide perennials like Heucheras, hardy Geraniums and Echinacea giving you more plants for next year
- Plant shrubs for Autumn and Winter to give you interest all year around try Sarcococca for scent and Skimmia for berries
- Plant out onion sets, and winter veg such as Cabbage and Broccoli for a spring crop
- Clear out your vegetable plots and pots and dig in a well rooted manure to help the soil over winter
- Aerate lawns that have compacted down, by walking along and gently pushing a garden fork into the soil to open it up and make little holes then sprinkle with sharp sand to improve drainage
- Apply an autumn lawn feed to prepare for the winter and a healthy lawn in spring
Looking good in your garden
Euonymus, Callicarpa, Cornus ( Dogwoods ) Cotoneaster, Roses for hips, Michaelmas Daisies, Gauras
- Don’t forget to underplant any new plants with bulbs that will pop up in the spring!
- When tidying up the garden, leave on any seed heads and hips for the birds to feed on
- Start to cut down the amount you mow the lawn as it gets wetter and will compact down the more you walk on it
- If you need a lot of hedging , buy bare root now as you will get more hedging for your budget.