Despite being Winter, January can be a busy month - are you thinking New Year, new garden?
- Don't throw your Christmas Tree away, take it to you local tip and recycle it.
- Deadhead any Winter bedding to encourage a longer flowering period.
- Plant bare root rose, hedging and trees so long as the ground is not frozen.
- Weed pathways and sweep your patio. By doing it early on you will stop the early weeds for seeding and making more work lateron.
- Start cutting back grasses and other perennials left for Winter, or you can leave them a few more months to provide cover and food for wildlife.
- Dont forget to keep bird feeders topped up and bird baths full of fresh water.
Looking good in your garden
- If you are experiencing snow, it can put a lot of pressure on your plants. Gently remove the snow so it does not break any of the plant.
- Protect shrubs and trees as much as possible against snow and wind with stakes and tree ties for extra support.
- If you have a frozen lawn, stay off it untill it is not frozen to prevent you from compacting the soil and damaging the lawn.