December can be a glorious time in the garden with the promise of crisp winter days and snow! Remember to be carefull on lawns and beds if the ground is wet or frosty.
- Continue to deadhead any Winter bedding to encourage a longer flowering period.
- Plant tubs or continers with evergreen Winter plants to keep colour or scent near the house.
- Stake or tie any flimsey or young shrubs and trees to protect them against snow and wind.
- Keep Bird feeders topped up and check for frozen water in bird baths.
- Clean out and tidy your greenhouse and ensure if you are overwintering plants you have enough heat to keep them warm.
- Wrap any non frost proof pots with bubble wrap or move them into a dry warm place.
Looking good in your garden
Helleborus, Christmas Box and Mahonia Soft Caress, Real Christmas Trees
- Place a small ball in your bird baths, this will stop them freezing over as the ball keeps the water moving.
- Cover the crown of any tender shrubs or climbers with straw to protect them from frosts.